Application for AdmissionThe Online MarMic APPLICATION FORM and all required documents (see checklist below) must be submitted electronically. Please fill in in English.
Additionally we also need a paper version of all required documents in duplicate (two copies)! Send the completed application by air mail or surface mail to the MarMic coordination office.
MarMic Coordination Office / Admissions Committee
Max Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology
phone: +49 421 2028-7000
fax: +49 421 2028-5800
Your application must include the following documents:
- a CV (Curriculum Vitae)
- a letter of motivation (1-2 pages). Please explain your reasons for wanting to enter the program and study marine microbiology. Refer to any personal, professional, or educational experiences or situations that have contributed to your desire to participate in this program. Describe your specific interests and academic goals.
- official academic transcripts in English or German
from all colleges/universities attended (one notarized copy and one regular copy of each document!)
Especially for the certification/notarization of degrees from Non-European Community Member States PLEASE check the Notarization details here.
- academic diplomas: certificate of your high school diploma and of further academic diplomas, if applicable (in English or German; one certified copy and one regular copy of each document!)
- two photographs: portrait of the size of a passport photograph (please indicate your name on the back!)
- two reference letters: letters of two referees who are able to evaluate your personality, academic experience, and intellectual merit (preferably mailed to the MarMic coordination office confidentially. They should not be older than 6 months).
- proof of proficiency in English:
applicants whose native language is not English are asked to submit a proof of proficiency in English on the C1-level
(e.g. IELTS: band 7.0, Cambridge University: Certificate in Advanced English (CAE Grade C), TOEIC (Listening/Reading 945, Speaking 180, Reading 180) or TOEFL IBT 95 points, C1-level); submission preferred until February 28 each year (but also acceptable after the deadline).
Please note: If you did not reach the required scores in the English proficiency test so far, please do not hesitate to apply.
If no English test is available, proven higher education including exams in English or a reasonably long stay in an English speaking country may also be accepted.
The Online application is currently inactivated.
The application deadline for students starting MarMic in October 2021 has expired on February 28. The next call for 2022 applications will open after November 30, 2021.
M.Sc. Applicants - Additional Requirement
The above mentioned forms are required for the restricted admission to MarMic. Additionally you have to apply for admission with all required documents at the University of Bremen!
For details about the Application Procedure at the University of Bremen please check the
- Masterportal and fill in the
- ONLINE APPLICATION for New Students
by Creating an MSc Application Account.
If you already registered at the University of Bremen you can directly continue your application.